Government of the Co-operative Republic of Guyana
MINISTRY OF THE PRESIDENCY
Department of Environment
Terms of Reference for Renewable Energy Liaison Specialist
The Department of Environment (DoE), under the aegis of the Ministry of the Presidency, has the mandate to coordinate and lead all efforts in transforming the country to a sustainable and green state by ensuring: (1) the sustainable use, conservation and protection of the natural environment; (2) the development of robust and resilient infrastructure; (3) the creation of comprehensive environmental policies and legislation; (4) the preservation of public health through effective environmental safeguards; and (5) a better quality of life for all Guyanese.
Guyana, being part of the Guianas Shield, is endowed with rich natural resources and abundant biodiversity along with one of the last remaining pristine rainforests of the world. Guyana’s rainforest provides essential ecosystem services inclusive of global climate regulation.
Guyana is a signatory to a plethora of environmental protocols, agreements and treaties that increase our capacity for the effective management of the environment. The country’s ratification of the Paris Agreement in 2016 has demonstrated Guyana’s commitment to global action against climate change and environmental preservation.
Further, the realisation of the recently developed Green State Development Strategy is a critical part of the work of the DoE. Therefore, to deliver its mandate, the DoE is procuring the technical expertise of a Renewable Energy Liaison Specialist who will work with and support the efforts of other ministries, departments, agencies and stakeholders.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Renewable Energy Liaison Specialist will support the development and management of the DoE’s programmes and work plans relative to renewable energy, ensuring coherence with the expected strategy of the department and supporting the implementation of programmes and work plans. The specialist will work closely with other departments and partners to guarantee smooth implementation of activities.
Under the supervision of the Director of the DoE, the main duties of the Renewable Energy Liaison Specialist will:
• Provide specialist support within the DoE that would enable the increased uptake of electric power from indigenous sources of renewable energy;
• Provide specialist support within the DoE that would enable the improvement of energy efficiency performance in residential homes, commercial buildings, and industries across Guyana. Examine minimum energy performance standards, improve building energy codes, and support home weatherization;
• Provide specialist support within the DoE that would enable the development and adoption of sustainable transportation technologies. This includes supporting advanced vehicles, alternative fuels, urban transport and land use planning;
• Provide specialist support to the research and development officer in the area of energy efficiency and renewable energy;
• Coordinate a centralized data collection and management system facility for energy efficiency and renewable energy activities;
• Support the enabling and integration of clean energy into a reliable, resilient, and efficient electricity grid;
• Support the facilitation of small, medium and large scale procurement, project development and implementation of energy efficiency and renewable energy services and applications;
• Support legal and policy development activities for the effective uptake of energy efficiency, renewable energy programs;
• Work closely with the Stakeholder Management Coordinator to coordinate public awareness and participation of energy efficiency and renewable energy initiatives;
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the DoE.
SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Master of Science Degree in Renewable Energy, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Management, Environmental Sciences, or other relevant field
• A minimum of 3 years of experience at a senior supervisory or managerial level
• Articulate, analytical and decisive with excellent communication, negotiating and presentation skills
• Be able to think independently and work under minimum supervision
• Must be resourceful
• Strong problem solving skills and creativity
• Ability to maintain confidentiality as required
• Must be flexible
• Must be able to work effectively as part of a team
o Respect for each other and office arrangements (time, rules, information-sharing, etc.)
o Support team members (team work)