The discovery of oil in May 2015 has the potential to significantly transform the economy of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana. However, to achieve the transformational change envisaged the country will need to establish the necessary policies and procedures, and train and hire the requisite skills to propel the new and emerging Oil and Gas Industry.
Accordingly, on August 1, 2018 the Government of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana established the Department of Energy (DoE) within the Ministry of the Presidency (MotP). The main functions of the DoE are to, inter alia, establish the framework (institutional, legal, regulatory) for the emerging Oil and Gas Industry, be positively transformative for the Guyanese economy over the short-, medium- and long-terms, and set the country on a sustainable development pathway. The DoE is now seeking to recruit a Procurement Officer for the newly established Department.
2. OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY
To conduct its operations with the highest degree of professionalism, transparency, accountability, and efficiency that meets international best practices; and ensure the benefits received from the Oil and Gas Industry redound to all Guyanese.
3. SCOPE OF WORK
The Procurement Officer (PO) will be responsible for all procurement and procurement-related activities of the DoE, and will provide efficient procurement support services to DoE by contributing to the effective management of the Department and achievement of its goals, assisting with the implementation, co-ordination and monitoring of all initiatives and programmes undertaken by the Department. The PO will, therefore, be expected, at a minimum, to carry out the following activities:
• Prepare detailed procurement plans in line with the directives of proposed and approved work plan for the DoE and in consonance with the Fiscal Management and Accountability Act (FMAA), in consultation with the Director of the DoE and the Office Manager.
• Draft bidding documents; prepare bill of quantities and scope of work for professional services, and equipment procurements, in accordance with the Government of Guyana (GoG) requirements.
• Prepare and publish bidding announcements following the Director’s clearance.
• Receive, open, screen, log and date stamp bid responses/quotations, mail as required and organize bids for review by the respective technical specialist(s).
• Take part in the tender evaluation committee works, including drafting the tender selection/evaluation forms, announcing tender results, and preparing the procurement provisions that will be included in the contracts.
• Review periodically the implementation of the works that shall be in compliance with the procurement provisions, in close collaboration with the Director of the DoE and the senior technical specialists.
• Provide inputs throughout key phases of the project management cycle such as project development, execution and close-out, follow up and report on any observed discrepancies during Departmental meetings.
• Organize and maintain computerized records containing vendor and bid information.
• Identify and recommend potential new sources or alternative material, prices and products.
• Process requisitions into purchase orders using an Automated Procurement System.
• Correspond with vendors regarding prices, product availability, and delivery.
• Respond to inquiries from DoE staff regarding requisitions, purchase orders, contracts and pricing information.
• Take part in the provisional and final acceptance works including the preparation of the respective committees and the acceptance of the works/professional services/equipment delivered.
• Performs other tasks as may be assigned from time to time in relation to the DoE functioning effectively and efficiently.
4. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• BSc. Degree in Business Administration, Management Studies, Public Administration, Administrative Management, Law or related fields from an accredited University. A Master’s Degree in any of the fields mentioned above would be a distinct advantage.
• At least five (5) years’ experience in Government of Guyana’s Procurement System and Administration.
• Experience in the Public Service and/or the energy sector would be an asset.
• Knowledge of procurement procedures/systems of international organisations would be an asset.
5. PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
• High quality administrative support delivered consistently to the Director.
• Confidentiality, integrity and professionalism are displayed in the execution of duties and personal conduct.
• Key deliverables are produced within agreed timeframes and to required standards.
• Established deadlines, targets and quality standards are consistently met.
6. REQUIRED COMPETENCY
• Ability to think and act strategically across a wide range of functions.
• Ability to multitask, paying attention to detail, works under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
• Excellent planning and organization skills.
• Excellent negotiating, problem solving and decision making skills.
• Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
• Strong customer orientation skills.
• Be a team player and have an inclusive manner towards work.
• Ability to create effective tracking and management systems and to follow up and carry tasks through to successful completion.
• Ability to work on own initiative and with minimal guidance.
• Ability to exercise sound judgement and conviction of purpose in unfavourable or unpopular situations.
• Ability to interface with senior government and private sector officials both locally and internationally, and with members of the donor community.
• High level of diplomacy and initiative.
• Good working knowledge of commonly used computer applications, such as Microsoft Projects, Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
• Ability to record and transcribe meeting minutes.
7. REPORTING RELATIONSHIP
The Procurement Officer will report to the Director of the DoE.
8. DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
The assignment will be for 3 years in the first instance, renewable thereafter, based on performance.