The discovery of oil in May 2015 has the potential to significantly transform the economy of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana. However, to achieve the transformational change envisaged the country will need to establish the necessary policies and procedures, and train and hire the requisite skills to propel the new and emerging Oil and Gas Industry.
Accordingly, on August 1, 2018 the Government of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana established the Department of Energy (DoE) within the Ministry of the Presidency (MotP). The main functions of the DoE are to, inter alia, establish the framework (institutional, legal, regulatory) for the emerging Oil and Gas Industry, be positively transformative for the Guyanese economy over the short-, medium- and long-terms, and set the country on a sustainable development pathway. The DoE is now seeking to recruit an Office Manager for the newly established Department.
2. OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY
To conduct its operations with the highest degree of professionalism, transparency, accountability, and efficiency that meets international best practices; and ensure the benefits received from the Oil and Gas Industry redound to all Guyanese.
3. SCOPE OF WORK
The Office Manager (OM) will be responsible for the general management of the DoE, and will provide efficient administrative support to DoE by contributing to the effective management of the Department and achievement of its goals, assisting with the implementation, co-ordination and monitoring of all initiatives and programmes undertaken by the Department. The OM will, therefore, be expected, at a minimum, to carry out the following activities:
• Supervise all administrative and financial matters of the Department which includes but not limited to the following;
• Assist with the coordination and preparation of work plans for the DoE.
• Assist with the preparation of operational plans and budgets.
• Assist with the preparation of technical reports and documents, including monthly and other Departmental status reports.
• Organize seminars, workshops, meetings and conferences as required by the Director of the DoE.
• Undertake administrative duties relating to the Advisory Board to the DoE, including scheduling of meetings, recording, preparation and distribution of minutes of the meetings.
• Ensure that the Department equipment and supplies are properly maintained or replaced in a timely manner as required.
• Supervise the general departmental activities including telephone and social media usage, attendance register, and general service provided by the Department.
• Arrange appointments and maintain the Agenda, places and screens telephone calls and respond to queries with discretion.
• Exercise initiative in the performance of all job functions and in dealing with matters in the absence of the Director.
• Respond to routine and other queries by analyzing reports and preparing responses accordingly.
• Anticipate the needs of the Department and the daily activities, and in consultation with the Director determine the priorities for action.
• Management of Petty Cash.
• Liaise with relevant staff in the MotP and with partner organizations, such as, the Department of the Environment (DotE), Guyana Energy Agency (GEA), Ministry of Finance (MoF), Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR), Ministry of Business (MoB) and Ministry of Public Infrastructure (MPI), as well as other stakeholders in the public and private sectors, and the donor community to ensure timely two-way communication required for effective implementation of initiatives pertinent to the Department’s work.
• Manages work in a confidential manner, ensures information is shared with internal and external individuals in a timely manner; providing guidance to others as necessary regarding sensitive/confidential information.
• Perform other tasks as may be assigned from time to time for the effective and efficient functioning of the DoE.
• Maintain an inventory of all physical assets of the Department.
4. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• BSc. Degree in Business Administration, Management Studies, Public Administration, Administrative Management or related field from an accredited University. A Master’s Degree in one of the aforementioned fields would be a distinct asset.
• At least five (5) years’ experience working at an executive-level administration/in an Administrative Management role.
• Experience in the Public Service and/or the Energy Sector would be an asset.
5. PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
• High quality administrative support delivered consistently to the Director.
• Confidentiality, integrity and professionalism are displayed in the execution of duties and personal conduct.
• Key deliverables are produced within agreed timeframes and to required standards.
• Established deadlines, targets and quality standards are consistently met.
6. REQUIRED COMPETENCES
• Ability to think and act strategically across a wide range of functions.
• Ability to multitask, pay attention to detail, works under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
• Excellent planning and organization skills.
• Excellent negotiating, problem solving and decision making skills.
• Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
• Strong customer orientation skills.
• Ability to create effective tracking and management systems and to follow up and carry tasks through to successful completion.
• Ability to work on own initiative and with minimal guidance.
• Ability to exercise sound judgement and conviction of purpose in unfavourable or unpopular situations.
• Ability to interface with senior government and private sector officials both locally and internationally, and with members of the donor community.
• High level of diplomacy and initiative.
• Good working knowledge of commonly used computer applications, such as Microsoft Projects, Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
• Ability to record and transcribe meeting minutes.
7. REPORTING RELATIONSHIP
The Office Manager will report directly to the Director of the DoE.
8. DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
The assignment will be for 3 years in the first instance, and renewable thereafter, based on performance.